Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Day 7 ~ Japanese Dodoitsu Poem for "30 poems in 30 days" #NationalPoetryMonth


I first introduced this poetry form to this challenge last year. Did I mention that this is the NINTH year I have run this poetry challenge? Pretty cool, right? Anyway, I digress . . . back to today’s poem:

Like many Japanese poetry styles, this one focuses on counting syllables – but not the same three lines of 5,7,5 syllables as the Haiku. 

This one is DIFFERENT ~ We are going to write a DODOITSU poem today. Fun times!!!

Here’s a bit of background: Dodoitsu poems appeared around the late 1860s. They were favored by working-class citizens. The name’s translation is basically, “quickly, city to city.” Some say that it refers to the ease with which they were passed along. The Dodoitsu has even been called the “Japanese limerick” as most revolved around love, work, and daily life, from a humorous perspective; so as a general rule, they did not explore deep thoughts. But rather, they were used as a way to record those off-the-wall funny moments in one’s day. 

I have a dear friend who writes AT LEAST a poem a day and includes her poems in her journal as they usually reflect her day. See what you come up with.
 

Here is the format:

FOUR LINES: (only counting syllables – no rhyming required, nor excluded . . . just whatever).


The first 3 lines ALL HAVE SEVEN SYLLABLES.

And the 4th line has FIVE SYLLABLES.

 

That’s it ~ simple, right? Yeah, that’s what I thought. You give it a try. Write as many as suits your fancy today.

 

More to do than I have time
Still, I write this little rhyme
A moment here, moment there
Need a cherry coke!

                © 2021 Stephanie Abney

 


Taught the boys to do some math
They groaned about it too much
So now they have to shout out:
We love math! Love math!

                © 2021 Stephanie Abney











 

I love my grandkids so much
They are so entertaining
They melt my heart with a smile
Yes, come stay a while

                © 2021 Stephanie Abney

 

PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them as soon as they post them. Thanks so much!

Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or your FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Day 7-Japanese Dodoitsu Poems

Writing poetry is fun
It’s a joy for ev’ryone
Each day, try and get it done
Rhyming in the sun

Connie Cockrell said...

Dodoitsu

Allergies are in full force
Eyes are swollen, my nose runs
This really isn’t much fun
Run from pollen, run

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Mine appears here:
https://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2021/04/national-poetry-month-day-siete.html