Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Day 9 Rictameter Poem for #NationalPoetryMonth and "30 poems in 30 days"


Welcome to Day 9 of our “30 Poems in 30 Days” challenge. Today we are going to write a poem that has nine lines. It’s called a “Rictameter Poem.” I’ve used it a number of times over the years for this challenge, but it’s a unique poetry form and if you center it on your page, it looks really cool as each line increases in syllable count until it reaches the middle and then begins to decrease until the end. (Or it can all be aligned on the left).

Rictameter Poem ~ this poem focuses on the number of syllables per line. It doesn't matter if they rhyme of not. 

Here is the pattern for a RICTAMETER POEM ~ be sure to use the same word(s) for the first and last line!!

A rictameter is a nine line poetry form. The 1st and last lines are the same, syllable count as follows:

       ~ line 1 - 2 syllables - same word(s) as line 9
       ~ line 2 - 4 syllables
       ~ line 3 - 6 syllables
       ~ line 4 - 8 syllables
       ~ line 5 - 10 syllables
       ~ line 6 - 8 syllables
       ~ line 7 - 6 syllables
       ~ line 8 - 4 syllables
       ~ line 9 - 2 syllables - same word(s) as line 1  



EXAMPLES:




Marriage
Eternal love
In spite of the hard times
We have so much fun together
Until the years have refined us in ways
We never would have expected
The best is yet to come
Our kids have kids
Marriage

                                               
                                      © 2019 Stephanie Abney








Baby
Sent from heaven
Our prayers have been answered
Sweet to smell and soft to cuddle
Eyes sparkling, dimpled grin, little chin
Angelic face and tiny toes
Oh how we all love you
Bundle of joy
Baby 
  
                                                                         © 2018 Peggy Barker
















China
My first time here
I came to teach English
You students were eager to learn
Our team taught you many wonderful things
And you taught us things in return
I hope I can come back
To my new love
China



                                  © 2016 Stephanie Abney


PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them as soon as they post them. Thanks so much!

Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or your FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.

Image 1 - Pixabay
Photo 2 - Nico Grütter at Pixabay
Photo 3 - courtesy of Stephanie Abney



4 comments:

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Here's my offering for today. I decided I wanted to learn about one amazing thing a day so I can have something to talk about over dinner. Today it's Mexican jumping beans...:o) https://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2019/04/day-9-national-poetry-month-rictameter.html

Connie Cockrell said...

I saw on your facebook post that someone had written about that virus picture. Scary looking thing, like a spider. I didn't go read it because I was inspired to do the same. Here's my offering.

Virus
It makes me sneeze
Its fever gives me chills
I lay in bed too weak to read
For days I sweat, too sick to eat a thing
Just lie there staring, my mind gone
When it breaks, rest at last
Broth tastes so good
Virus

Stephanie Abney said...

Love your "virus" poem, Connie!!

Prubun said...

First time reading much appreciate it