Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Day 27 ~ “Diatelle Poem” for 30 Poems in 30 Days" #NationalPoetryMonth


Okay – this poetry challenge is almost over. It’s been lots of fun. I hope you have been enjoying yourself. I think I’ve been pretty “easy” on ya’ll. Right? I didn’t go into depth on things like poetic feet: Iamb, Trochee, Dactyl, or Anapest, or the difference between blank verse and free verse or lengthy poems, etc. I’ve stayed pretty much with somewhat simple poems that have a few conditions to them and if you follow the pattern you can create some pretty amazing poetry (and many of you have done so). 

HOWEVER, today will be considerably more tricky – it’s still all about counting syllables (remember, there IS a syllable counter online if you need it) and about rhyming CERTAIN lines SPECIFICALLY with other lines. 

If you DON’T follow it precisely, you won’t get the desired result – you’ll get a poem, no doubt, just not a “Diatelle Poem” which is today’s poetry form. It’s a fairly new form created by Bradley Vrooman. 

So since I haven’t even attempted this form yet, I’m using his poem as an example. I hope to get back to add in one or two of my own. In the meantime, let’s see what you come up with ~ here are the details: 


It’ looks best if you can center it – kind of has a diamond shape because of the order of the syllable count, which is: 1-2-3-4-6-8-10-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1,


And it has a VERY specific rhyming pattern – every line that ends with letter A pattern – needs to rhyme with each other. The same for letters B and C ~ here is the pattern to follow: A-B-B-C-B-C-C-A-C-C-B-C-B-B- A


So, you can see it will be a bit trickier than those we have done in the past – but I bet it’s one you haven’t heard of before – that’s what I was going for – something new.

I created a little pattern box to help you sort it all out – see below – if you are on your phone or a small device - it could be really difficult to see or figure this out - hope you can be on a regular computer screen for this one.

Bradley Vrooman’s Example:

Smooth Sailing

                        Walk (Syllable count 1 - rhyme: a) 
With me (2 - b)
And simply
(3 - b)
With arms around
(4 - c)
Each other's waist, happy
(6 - b)
Moving about the day, as bound
(8 - c)
As ever can be, with true love abound
(10 - c)
lay with me all day and all night, my world you rock
(12 - a) 
 Passion’s fire, a desire induced by sound (10 - c)
Pure as light, each spectrum surround
(8 - c)
Hypnotized as can be
(6 - b)
Love that’s profound
(4 - c)
Spoken free
(3 - b)
With me
(2 - b)
Talk
(1 - a)
 © written by Bradley Vrooman




 
Diatelle Poetry ~ match your ending rhyming words with the same color (gray columns are because NONE of the lines end in that number of syllables).


1
 2
 3
4
 5
 6
 7
 8
  9
 10
 11
  12
1
A












2
B












3
B












4
C












6
B












8
C












10
C












12
A












10
C












8
C












6
B












4
C












3
B












2
B












1
A













If you are looking for a little motivation, today is: National Little Pampered Dog Day and National Tell a Story Day among other “days” – but write whatever comes to mind. It will be great!! Don’t wimp out on me just because this one is a tad tricky ~ GOOD LUCK!! Whatcha’ got?

PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them as soon as they post them. Thanks so much!

Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or you FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Whew. I did it.

Tell
A tale
Do not fail
Tell of your life
Or of a Dragon’s Tail
With his scales of purple Loosestrife
The sky is so dark, cut it with a knife
If the story's of you, there may have been a bell
To wake you up to play a rousing fife
To please someone’s husband or wife
As they take the fast rail
Happiness rife
Without fail
Ships sail
Dwell

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Okay. The freaking thing wrapped. But I'm going to leave it like that since it looks roughly like a sail boat. Here you go with my SAIL! poem:
http://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2016/04/of-all-wacky-poem-forms-today-is.html
I hope the link works. My blog has been really buggy lately.