Saturday, April 2, 2016

Day 2 - How to Write a Spring Senses Poem "30 Poems in 30 Days"


Yesterday was fun!! Some new folks joined in and some great poems were written. Did you know that you can check your "stats" on your blog? It can tell you which posts are getting read the most. I find it quite fascinating and gratifying that people are still coming to my "how to" write this type poem or that type poem blog posts that I wrote up to five years ago. My most frequently read blog post is the one I wrote in 2011 on how to write a "Spring Senses Poem." Isn't that interesting? What's up with that? Maybe teachers are assigning it? I don't know, but if it's so popular - then maybe we should visit it again. Plus, it's a simple "fill in the blank" style of poem. Perfect for only the second day of National Poetry Month.

#NationalPoetryMonth

This simple little poem involves the five senses: sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. How do YOU envision Spring? You can fill in the blank with a singe word or two or you can write full-on sentences. It's basically free verse as there are no required rhyming patterns, unless, of course, YOU want to make it rhyme, which is perfectly fine.

Here is the pattern:

Spring Senses Poem
Spring looks like________________
Spring sounds like_______________
Spring feels like_________________
Spring smells like________________
Spring tastes like________________


Here's one example of mine:

Spring Senses Poem
Spring looks like sunshine.                         
Spring sounds like birds singing.      
Spring feels like a cool breeze.
Spring smells like mint leaves.
Spring tastes like strawberries.

                   © Stephanie Abney


There is another way to approach a "Spring Senses Poem." You can start each line of the poem with the function of that sense, like this:

Spring Senses Poem
I see_____________________
I hear____________________
I feel_____________________
I smell___________________
I taste____________________

Also, feel free to create this poem with the various five senses in whichever order suits you.

So, here's my example of this style using I in front of each of the five senses.

Spring Senses Poem
I see a mother hen gather her chicks.
I hear the song of a meadow lark.
I feel the warmth of the sun on my face.
I smell the fragrant dogwood blossoms.
I taste fresh cherry pie.

                © Stephanie Abney


YOUR TURN!!! 


PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them. Thanks so much.

Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem and LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.



8 comments:

Vicki said...

Spring looks like green grass
Spring sounds like birds singing
Spring feels like warm sunshine
Spring smells like lawn clippings
Spring tastes like sweet berries

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Spring looks like rising goathead stickers and a fresh crop of pot holes.
Spring sounds like coyotes hunting a neighborhood pet and palo verdes humming full of bees.
Spring feels bipolar--oven-like one minute, goosebumps the next.
Spring smells like creosote beneath a dusting of raindrops, and the wind sifting through the orange blossoms.
Spring tastes like blowing grit and fragrant oranges.

jeanie said...

Spring looks like clouds on one day, sunshine on the next.
It sounds like baby starlings chirping in their nests.
It feels like new beginnings, a time to start anew
And tastes like sweet strawberries that in my garden grew.

Stacy said...

I cannot lie, this is my least favorite style of poetry and always has been. But, spring for this track coach is the best season around...

Spring looks like an all weather 100M track.
Spring sounds like the pounding of tennis shoes.
Spring feels warm on my face.
Spring smells like sweat.
Spring tastes like victory with each personal best.

I see them put on their tennis shoes.
I hear the complains about the scheduled workout.
I feel confident they will work hard anyway.
I smell the dust from the high jump pit as each athlete lands.
I taste the cool water after a good long practice.

Unknown said...

A SENSE OF SPRING
I see the sun rise earlier each day.
I hear doves coo songs of joy.
I feel a soft breeze sweeping out the cold.
I smell fresh turned earth.
I taste lemonade and peaches and all the bounty of summer soon-to-be.
-PJ Switzer

Erica said...

Spring looks like pastels
Spring sounds like music
Spring feels like hope
Spring smells like grass
Spring tastes like marshmallows

J9 said...

I am behind so here is all three:

The magic goldfish reappeared,
in our fish pond,
after 5 months,
apparently not heron food but hibernating!

Spring looks like a long lost love,
Who whispers in your ear of coming delights,
and who feels like hope, conception
with the smell of rebirth and new life,
tasting of all the feasts of joy to come.

Time to plan a garden retreat,
With blooms and wildlife replete;
If only in imagination to complete!

Peggy Barker said...

Spring Senses
Spring looks like daffodils unfolding their blooms.
Spring sounds like the pitter patter of and April shower.
Spring feels like the warm sunshine chasing the chill from your bones.
Spring smells like lilacs freshly cut in a vase.
Spring tastes like warm rhubarb pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top.


Spring Vacation

I see blue skies with clouds gently floating by

I hear the rhythm of the waves as they land on the sand

I feel the sand course and scratching my feet

I smell the fish and the seaweed not far from the land

I taste the salt on the breeze as I sit on the beach