Monday, April 18, 2016

Day 18 ~ Couplet Poem for #NationalPoetryMonth for “30 poems in 30 days”



Let’s get down to basics today – every poet should know how to write a couplet. It is the basis of other poems and it’s only TWO lines of poetry. How easy is that?


Carefully stringing thoughts along
Into lovely little word-songs.
                      © 2014 ~ Stephanie Abney





Hmmm. I used “word songs” in my example yesterday, didn’t I? But a different poem – guess I think of poetry as word songs, what can I say?



Although I’ve seen some that are totally random, the dictionary definition of a “couplet” suggests that they usually consist of two lines that rhyme and have the same meter. The above example has 8 beats in each line and the endings rhyme well enough. So ~

Try expressing your complete thought in two mid-sized poetic lines. The end words of both lines should rhyme. It can be spiritual or silly or romantic or whatever suits your fancy – couplets are great to write for children or with children.

It is possible to string a bunch of couplets together to create a longer poem, but for today – just try creating one  or more individual 2-line couplets.

Here are a couple of couplets (hee hee) that I wrote about five years ago. Anyway, here they are, for what their worth (one is simple; the other is silly).

 

~~~~~~~ I was thinking about the Lord's tender mercies and came up with this:


I know the Lord is mindful of me,
And it makes me happy as can be.
                             © 2011 by Stephanie Abney

 
~~~~~~~ then, in a moment of frustration, I thought a little on "getting one's nose out of joint" and came up with this:

 
Writing this little assignment
Puts my nose out of alignment.
                               © 2011 by Stephanie Abney 
 

Did you think of a couplet? Just look around and think on an object or an emotion and give it a shot!!


Please rememberany poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments section of this blog. They are the property of the person who shares them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them in any form without their express permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to it. Thanks!! 
And if you choose to post your poems on your own blog – that’s awesome. But please don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem and LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to read the instructions. Thanks for respecting my work.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

When in your life you have dogs
You are so much closer to God

Peggy Barker said...

I find it hard to make a rhyme
Because I simply don't have time!