Saturday, April 28, 2018

Day 28 ~ “Hero Poem” for “30 Poems in 30 Days” #NationalPoetryMonth


Let’s Write a “Hero Poem” for “30 Poems in 30 Days” #NationalPoetryMonth

Hero poems are found in every culture. There is no one right way to write a hero poem. Since today, April 28, 2018, is “National Superhero Day” I thought it would be fun to write a poem about our heroes. In fact, most of you will probably end up with several poems if you have the time to write them.

Instead of giving specific directions for one certain style of poem, I’ll leave it up to you to use one (or several) of the poetry forms we have been practicing this year OR just back to the ol’ free verse variety in order to honor someone who is YOUR superhero. Think about what traits make this person a hero to you and then write about them.


In researching just the terms “hero poetry” I found some interesting things and you might want to do a similar search. These poems are often epic poems; narratives that cover quite a bit about a person and/or event (think in terms of “Paul Revere’s Ride”). Another word for these poems are “Courage Poems” ~ I think one of the poetic styles for writing a hero poem that intrigued me the most was the “African Praise Song.”


So, instead of giving directions, I’ll post several links that I think are interesting and they might give you some ideas of what you want to do when you write a poem about YOUR SUPERHERO!! Have fun.

I’ll be right there along with you (as soon as I finish taking my American Lit test). 



Then, I hope to come back and edit this with my a few superhero poems of my own. Until then ~ check these out if it interests you:



Student example of a “hero/courage poem” ~

African Praise Songs:



ENJOY!!




PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright for to them as soon as they post them. Thanks so much!


Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or your FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work. 

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Day 28-Hero Poem
We can all be a hero to ourselves
We can be a hero when we help another in any way
We can be a hero as we struggle through our trials, and we all have them
We can be a hero every day. Just a smile at people you meet
We can be a hero by helping others, which in turn helps us
We can be our own hero as we serve others and bless own own lives
So serve yourself be serving others
Be the hero in your own life

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Sorry I'm so late. Not been feeling good today. But here's my poem for today:
https://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2018/04/national-poetry-month-day-28-superhero.html

Peggy Barker said...


A hero stands for the right when no one else will.
A hero sticks up for the underdog.
A hero works really hard even when they have done their share.
A hero loves everyone, especially those who don’t feel loved.
A hero serves his fellow man with all of his heart.