Saturday, April 29, 2023

Day 29 2023 ~ Wishing Poems for #NationalPoetryMonth “30 Poems in 30 Days”


There are many ways to write a “wishing poem.” Most people are familiar with the childhood chant:

 

Star light, star bright,

First star I see tonight,

I wish I may, I wish I might,

Have this wish I wish tonight.

 

Today is “World Wish Day” and “National Wish Day” in reference to the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Our youngest son received a wish from Make-a-Wish when he was battling leukemia. He asked for a “freestanding woodworking workshop in the backyard with electricity and power tools.” No one had ever wished for that before but his wish granters found a way. He spent many happy hours in his workshop making all sorts of wood creations before he succumbed to his cancer.


The day Make-A-Wish presented BJ with his woodworking workshop - they invited the neighborhood kids over and had refreshments, etc.



  Inside BJ's workshop


World Wish Day

Since there is no one set way to write a “wish poem” I’m just going to provide you with several links to examples of wish poems and let you pick and choose whatever works for you. Cheers!! (Sadly, tomorrow is our last day).

The most typical wish poetry begins each line actually with “I wish” until the very end and then you can create a concluding line or two – some people would consider this a “List Poem” and the jury is out on if it’s a “real” poem, but I say, why not? It expresses things the poet wishes (there’s our word!!) to share, so, it’s p-o-e-t-r-y!! Right?

 

Here’s a well-known example by Bob Perks: “I Wish You Enough”

 

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.

I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough “Hello’s” to get you through the final “Goodbye.”

 

                 © Bob Perks

 

There is no particular “rhyme or reason” on how to create you WISHING POEM ~ just wish away!!

 

PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them as soon as they create them and especially once they post them. Thanks so much!

*** Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog or elsewhere on social media ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or your FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO EACH DAY’S SPECIFIC BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.

 

No comments: