Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Day 19 2023 ~ How to write a Waltmarie poem for #NationalPoetryMonth and "30 poems in 20 days'

There are so many poetic forms out there; so many formulas . . . but I tend to share many of the same formats (favorites) each year as I find y'all have something new to say every time.

I find that having to follow a format actually improves my skills. I have to work things around until they fit the requirements. It's a good way to fine-tune your writing in general.

And I also enjoy sharing a totally new poetry from each year if possible. Well, this is IT! Holy Cow!! I have never heard of this one and I bet you haven't either. It's a newcomer, a trickly little poem. I hope you enjoy figuring it out Cheers!!

Here are the details

This poetry format was created by Candace Kubinec, who, after reading some of her poetry has become one of my new favorite poets!! Love her writing! At the end of this post, I will give you a link to an interview with her which includes several of her poems (not this particular format) and they are delightful!! 

But first, let's stretch your brain cells a bit:

This is a TEN-LINE poem, but the EVEN numbered lines are ONLY TWO SYLLABLES ... AND, when read alone, those even lines should bear some resemblance to a stand-alone poem of its own.

There are NO rhyming requirements, or any other requirements, really. Just 10 lines, with every other line consisting of only 2 syllables.

I'm including two of Candace's examples as they are far better than mine, but it was the best I could do with limited time this morning. so, here ya' go. I put MY even lines in italics to help them stand out ~ making it easier to read them as their own poem, although mine don't do that as well as Candace's do. Oh well. Sigh . . .

Waltmarie Poetry Form Examples:

These first two examples are by Candace Kubinec:

Building a Snowman

They waited for the word to turn white -
frozen
Rolled balls of snow, bigger and bigger - 
child-size
Broken twigs from the apple tree for arms, two hand - 
mittens
He stood, smiling his pebble smile, until the warm sun appeared - 
dripping 
then slowly disappeared, until only a memory remained - 
stories

         © Candace Kubinec



 









* * * * * * *

On the Bench at Night


I sit as still as a human can - 
patient
The sun has set and dusk has settled - 
quiet
I try to match my breath to the gentle breeze - 
calmly
Small creatures emerge from daylight hiding places - 
searching
And my heart sends out a quiet message - 
for you

        © Candace Kubinec


 * * * * * * *


I Rather Hate the "Safe Place"

I usually stash important things in a
safe place
Just temporarily, I  tell myself,
for now
But when I need them I search,
in vain
Only to discover they are
not found . . .
guess I'll have to try again
later

          © 2023 Stephanie Abney

Okay, give it your best shot and then come back here and click on this link ~ POET INTERVIEW – CANDACE KUBINEC ~ to read that interview with Candace Kubinec I was telling you about!! Cheers!!

And here is a link to an online "chapbook" of her poems. They are lovely.

SCRAMBLED MEMORIES by Candace Kubinec


PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them as soon as they create them and especially once they post them. Thanks so much!

*** Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog or elsewhere on social media ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or your FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO EACH DAY’S SPECIFIC BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.

(Image from Pixabay)

 



No comments: