Saturday, April 25, 2015

Day 25 ~ Weather Poem for #NationalPoetryMonth "30 Poems in 30 Days"



How to write a Weather Poem ~

Today’s challenge is to write a poem about the weather – there are many ways you can approach it and feel free to use whatever style of poetry suits you, but here is one idea:

Sometimes you can get your inspiration from a poem someone else wrote – you won’t be copying the poem, but rather, copying the flow and style of it. I’ll use a well-known poet and poem as an example:

Carl Sandburg and his poem on “Fog”

Fog
The fog comes               
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.
         © Carl Sandburg



OKAY – with this as our example here is how we would pick what goes on which line in our new poem:

Title:  Form of Nature chosen
Line #1:  Title + (how it arrives or begins as the animal would arrive)
Line #2:  Tell what it does
Line #3:  And how it does it
Line #4:  And where it is
Line #5:  Tell how it leaves (as the animal would leave) 

OK, with that, I'll leave you to it - I have a family function today and will write my poem later - once I do, I'll come back and put it in here and take this "excuse" out. LOL ~ Cheers!! Have a nice day ~ 

3 comments:

Vicki said...

The weather lately is weird
It can't make up its mind
It doesn't help when one day
You're shoveling snow outside.

Then the next day is so warm
You don't need a coat
Then a few days later
We might need a boat!!

Aubri said...

Rain

It comes suddenly like bats overhead,
swooping lower down
with echoes
in strong wind outside the glass,
disappearing under the eaves.

Deborah said...

Couldn't wrap my head around that animal format, so I wrote this instead:

Texas Thunder Storm

With a sudden crackling and popping
the lightning scratches across the sky as
the low, dark rumbling roars outside the window
and I crawl beneath the sheets,
seeking the silent comfort of my husband's warmth.