Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 21 - 2015 How to Write a Couplet Poem for #NationalPoetryMonth “30 poems in 30 days”



Let's Write a Couplet Poem for Day 21 #NationalPoetryMonth “30 poems in 30 days”


Wow. We are ¾ of the way through the month of April and I see that we have yet to work on a Couplet Poem – these are fun and fairly simple. So, let’s write a couplet:

A couplet is a two-lined verse. Although I’ve seen some that are totally random, the dictionary definition of a “couplet” suggests that they usually consist of two lines that rhyme and have the same meter. So, whatever works for you, but for today’s instructions, I’m going to say that both lines should rhyme and try to have a rhythm to them.


Try expressing your complete thought in two mid-sized poetic lines. The last words should rhyme. It can be spiritual or silly or romantic or whatever suits your fancy – couplets are great to write for children or with children.

By the way, it is possible to string a bunch of couplets together to create a longer poem, but for our first attempt, just try one or two 2-line couplet(s) . . . Or, go ahead and show off and create a LONG poem by adding more couplets - up to you, of course!!

Here's an example from "Nature's Shows," found in Tickle Day: Poems from Father Goose by Charles Ghigna

Nature puts on little shows
Every time it rains or snows
                            © 1994 by Charles Ghigna


Anyway, here are a few of my offerings, for what their worth:





Carefully stringing thoughts along    
Into lovely little word-songs.

           © 2014 ~ Stephanie Abney 



  

~~~~ I was thinking about the Lord's tender mercies and came up with this:
 

I know the Lord is mindful of me,
And it makes me happy as can be.
            © 2011 by Stephanie Abney

~~~~ then, in a moment of frustration, I thought a little on "getting one's nose out of joint" and came up with this:


Writing this little assignment
Puts my nose out of alignment
.
             © 2011 by Stephanie Abney 


Did you think of a couplet? Just look around and think on an object or an emotion and give it a shot!!


Enjoy!!


Please remember any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments section of this blog. They are the property of the person who shares them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them in any form without their express permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to it. Thanks!! 



And if you choose to post your poems on your own blog – that’s awesome. But please don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem and LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to read the instructions. Thanks for respecting my work.


5 comments:

Vicki said...

I came up with three

Getting old is no fun
Aches and pains and then you're done.

My children are my greatest joy
Four gorgeous girls, three handsome boys

Nine grandchildren we can claim
They give us love each happy day.

Jewelianna said...

All neatly stored, no more needed by me
the crib, the swing, for a little baby.

I thought we had filled all of our empty chairs.
A new revelation caught me unawares.

Joy rose triumphant over my fear
Not four, but five that I’ll hold so dear

Dreaming of the day that I get to meet you
Rallying for the long nine months to get through

I wake at dawn
knowing, you’re gone

dying
crying

praying
fraying

anguish and sorrow overwhelm as tears stream
for the heart-rending loss, my dear little dream

Stephanie Abney said...

Those are so fun, Vicki. And WOW, Julie, that was powerful and sad. You ladies are quite the poets.

Axe-Sharp Thoughts said...

here are two
I’m having such a difficult time,
To write a couplet that needs to rhyme.

I sit and look upon my land,
And wish for ocean and warm sand.

Heidi L. Murphy said...

I enjoyed your couplets. Hugs for Jewelianna (my sister's name spelled differently).
Here's my attempt:
http://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2015/04/writing-couplets-and-other-chores.html