Thursday, April 30, 2015

Day 30 ~ 2015 “Credo Poem” for #NationalPoetryMonth “30 poems in 30 days” + TODAY is “Poem in My Pocket” Day!


Day 30 ~ “Credo Poem” and TODAY is “Poem in My Pocket” Day!

It’s hard to believe the month of April is finally over. April 30 is not only the last day of #NationalPoetryMonth – but it is “Poem in Your Pocket” Day. The idea is that on “Poem in Your Pocket Day,” people throughout the US will celebrate by selecting a poem, carrying it with them, and sharing it with others throughout the day as schools, bookstores, libraries, parks, workplaces, and other venues, including FB and Twitter (#pocketpoem), ring loud with open readings of poems from pockets, it could be one of your own original ones or just a favorite poem of yours. 


Here is some info taken from the “National Poetry Month” website

"Poem in Your Pocket Day" was originally initiated in 2002 by the Office of the Mayor, in partnership with the New York City Departments of Cultural Affairs and Education, as part of the city’s National Poetry Month celebration. In 2008, the Academy of American Poets took the initiative national, encouraging individuals around the country to join in and channel their inner bard.

This year Poem in Your Pocket Day will be held on April 30. Be sure to share your poem selection on Twitter by using the hashtag #pocketpoem.


So, there is that and then ~ there is this: Today’s poem is a “Credo” poem. 

This is a pretty cool format and it was taken from a scene in the movie “Bull Durham” (which I’ve never seen so this is NOT a recommendation to see it – in fact, when I tried watched the clip of his “credo” I turned it off – not my style; too crass for me). However, it does make for a good poetry form, so here it is ~ fill in the blanks: 


CREDO POEM ~ in each of the blanks, tell something you believe in and on the last line of the 1st stanza list 4 things (separated by each of the commas provided)

Then for the “BUT” line – tell something you don’t believe in, such as “But I don’t believe” … or “But I think … telling something that you don’t support, believe, etc. “But I think whatever is overrated or any way you want to add a line about what you DON’T believe in that starts with the word “But”

Finally, the last stanza is MORE of what you believe in with the second to last line listing 4 things you believe in as you did in the 1st stanza and then – end with one long statement that kind of summaries what you believe or what you have hope in for the future type of thing.

OK, here is the basic format – whatcha’ got? 

I believe in the _________________________,
the___________________________________,
the___________________________________,
the___________________________________,
the___________________________________,
_______________,_______________,_________________.

But _______________________________________ . (something you don't believe in)

I believe in____________________________,
I believe in____________________________,
I believe in___________________________,
______________,________________,_________________.

And I believe in ___________________________________  _________________________________________________ . (longest line of poem)




Well, that’s pretty much it. Thanks for a great month of poetry!! See you next year. Don’t be a stranger. I hope to post more often but I’m a rather eclectic person – you never know what I might be posting about! Cheers!! 

BTW, as there are so many poetry forms out there, it’s been hard to choose which ones to share each day. So, I’m writing a book with dozens of poetry forms in it and I will post on here once it’s ready and how you can get a copy. Thanks again!
Please remember any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments section of this blog. They are the property of the person who shares them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them in any form without their express permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to it. Thanks!! 


And if you choose to post your poems on your own blog – that’s awesome. But please don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem and LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to read the instructions. Thanks for respecting my work.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe in the children of the world, the reality of making a difference, the people who are trying, the hope of a brighter future, the things I know that are true, real, right, and good.
But I don't believe in hating others for any reason.
I believe in love beyond the grave, I believe in living a life of meaning, I believe in showing love to others, butterflies, rainbows, and babies. And I believe in being the best me I can be each and every day.

Vicki said...

That post is mine. I goofed.

Deborah said...

It's beautiful, Vicki!

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Okay. Mine is late. And I had no pockets in my skirt. but I had a poem in my heart, and that's closer...:o) Here is my last April poem. Go see.
http://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2015/05/who-lights-your-way.html

Heidi L. Murphy said...

So I can't find any posts in May for Limerick Day, so I'm posting on your last one in April:

http://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2015/05/to-dog-or-not-to-dog.html