Monday, April 13, 2015

Day 13 - 2015 "If You Were" poem for "30 poems in 30 days" #NationalPoetryMonth

Let's try an "If You Were" poem 

This is a fun little poem that is actually a quatrain (4 lines) in which the last sound of lines 2 and 4 rhyme. It also has two metaphors (remember, a “metaphor” is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to draw a comparison). It is not the same as a simile. A simile uses the word like or as in order to make a comparison, whereas metaphors use is or are. So if you say “If I were” or “If you were” and named the thing (noun), it is a metaphor.


A simile: Your hair is like golden flax.

A metaphor: Your hair is golden flax.

So, there’s a little grammar lesson for ya’ – sorry, it’s the teacher in me. OK, back to the instructions: one metaphor is for the “I” part of the poem and the other metaphor is for the “you” part of the poem.

Here are some instructions taken from Charles Ghinga’s "poetry lesson" found at "Giggle Poetry" (with his permission - he's given me permission in previous years so I'm assuming he's still okay with sharing his wonderful link) – Giggle Poetry Class with Charles Ghinga ~ (He's pretty cool - known as the "Father Goose" of kids poetry - you should become acquainted with his site and his books if you have any children in your life. He's lots of fun)! You should also spend some time at HIS poetry site: "Father Goose: Charles Ghinga"


Instructions: Think of a person you like. Compare that person to some thing (inanimate object). Now compare yourself to some thing associated with the first object.


Here's a couple that I tried to write: 


If you were a king
And I were a queen,
We'd live in a castle,
Ya' know what I mean?


If you were the sand 

And I were the sea,
I'd ebb up so very close, 
And whisper, "Come away with me."

 
Yeah - they're not that great but go to the link above and get some good ideas and try it out for yourself. (I never promised to be any good at all of these - just willing to give it a try). Now ... it's YOUR turn!! Have fun!

6 comments:

Vicki said...

If you were a guitar
And I were the strings
We'd provide beautiful music
And other nice things.

cassie said...

If you were the twinkle
And I were your star
We'd shine out across outer space
And make distances not feel so far.

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Here's my offering today: http://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2015/04/its-if-you-were-poem-on-this-13th-day.html

Jewelianna said...

If you were a dish
And I were a spoon
Hey, diddle-diddle
Let's run away! *swoon*

Jewelianna said...

I taught this during language arts today

This was my eight year old's:

If you were George Washington
And I were the forest
When he went to pray
We heard the angel chorus

Axe-Sharp Thoughts said...

If I were the stem,
And you were the bud,
A flower of beauty, wouldn’t we be?
Snip goes the stem, wilt goes the bud, beauty no longer, we're only a dud.