Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Day 3 2024 ~ How to write a “Triplet Poem” for #NationalPoetryMonth ~ "30 poems in 30 days"


I’m happy people are showing up for Poetry Month but our numbers are fewer so far than previous years. Life is busy, I know, but I hope more join in as we go along. I’ve always thought the 3rd of the month was a great day to introduce the Triplet format ~ so, let’s write a "Triplet" They can stand alone or you can string several triplets together to create a longer poem so they are handy little poems to know how to write. Cheers!

            3+3+3

Here's some BRIEF (for me) and quite interesting "in-depth" info on triplets: 

Now, depending on which EXPERT source you get your directions from, you are bound to get different definitions for various forms of poetry. Odd, I know. But I'm trying to stick with as accurate definitions as I can for this challenge. Some people use the term "tercet" and "triplet" interchangeably when discussing poetry, but that's not what I have found. A "tercet" is a 3-lined poem (which may or may not rhyme and may or may not share the same meter). Therefore, yes, a "triplet" is a "tercet" BUT all "tercets" are not triplets. Go figure.

A "TRIPLET" is a very specific type of tercet and for our purposes, we will follow these rules:

Triplets are 3-lined poems that rhyme. (Some sources say they should have a title and some don’t – totally up to you).

BUT ~ HERE’S THE IMPORTANT PART ~

EVERY LINE HAS THE SAME NUMBER OF SYLLABLES or BEATS!

Need help with making words rhyme? Try this little “rhyme finder” – pretty cool:

Rhyme Zone 

OR, here’s another one: Rhymer 

Here are a few examples to get you started:

 

To Rhyme or Not to Rhyme

Finding words that always rhyme
Really takes a lot of time
Is not rhyming such a crime?

              © 2014 by Stephanie Abney 

 

I saw this pic and thought of this silly little triplet (the same number of beats and all three lines end in a rhyme) 

 


Three little crocodiles
Dancing away for miles
Creating lots of smiles

          © 2021 Stephanie Abney

 

Well, I said I was too sick to write any new ones but this one just came together – about being sick. LOL:

Being sick is no fun.
There’s so much to be done.
Well, now I’ve got to run.

           © 2024 Stephanie Abney

 

PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them as soon as they create them and especially once they post them. Thanks so much!

*** Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog or elsewhere on social media ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or your FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO EACH DAY’S SPECIFIC BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.

No comments: