Friday, April 26, 2024

Day 26 2024 ~ How to write a “Marianne Poem” for #NationalPoetryMonth ~ "30 poems in 30 days"

Okay – LET’S all learn a new one today – this is the FIRST time I have used this poetry format ~ it’s similar to so many in that it has line and syllable requirements but it also has some rhyming rules to follow and I love the name of it ~ “Marianne”

ALSO, since it is Arbor Day . . .  I’d like to throw out a challenge that you make this poem about a tree. (Just a suggestion, but maybe, give it a try).

Here is the setup ~

The Marianne is a 5-lined verse form that contains both syllable counts per line AND lines 1, 3, and 5 MUST all have the same ENDING rhyme.

The lines are meant to be centered on the page. (Social media formatting rarely complies with that, but for your own record, you can set it that way).

It was created by Viola Berg.

The Marianne is a “pentastich,” another name for a 5-lined poem.

It has a title and then the balance of the poem goes as follows:

Line 1 ~ 4 syllables – ENDING RHYME A

Line 2 ~ 6 syllables – NO RHYMING

Line 3 ~ 8 syllables – ENDING RHYME A

Line 4 ~ 4 syllables – NO RHYMING

Line 5 ~ 2 syllables – ENDING RHYME A

 

Two tools that will be very handy for this poem are the Syllable Counter and Rhymer ~ I suggest you use them. LOL I've seen your syllable counting and rhyming and well, never hurts to double-check your work!! Cheers!!


Here’s my effort – and I LOVE the mixed media tree I created a few years back ~


 My Nanny Tree

You gave me shade
Let me climb your branches
Sitting here I was not afraid
Childhood thanks
Delayed

                                                  © 2024 Stephanie Abney


Okay – you try it!!

 


PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them as soon as they create them and especially once they post them. Thanks so much!

*** Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog or elsewhere on social media ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or your FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO EACH DAY’S SPECIFIC BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.

No comments: