Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Day 7 ~ How to write a “What if . . . I might” Poem for #NationalPoetryMonth - "30 poems in 30 days"



Day 7 ~ How to write a “What if . . . I might” Poem

Yesterday’s autobiographical poems were so interesting and fun. This one is super easy – it’s basically a “finish the sentence” type of poetry form. Even so, I think you will be pleased and surprised at the results! 

A seven-line poem for Day 7 ~ This is a poem that will get you thinking of many possibilities; some thoughtful, others silly, some adventurous, or even fanciful, some surprisingly profound. Let your imagination go or reach deep into your heart. 

SEVEN LINES:
Fill in the blanks any way you want – changing the words you can create dozens of poems.

Line #1:  What if ____________________________
Line #2:  I might ____________________________

(leave a space between lines 2 & 3)
 
Line #3:  What if ____________________________
Line #4:  I could _____________________________

(leave a space between lines 4 & 5)

Line #5:  What if ____________________________
Line #6:  I would_____________________________

(leave a space between lines 6 & 7)
 
Line #7:  Ask a question.


Have fun!!

HERE ARE MY EXAMPLES – (from a few years ago – if I get some new ones written, I’ll come back and add them in or even exchange them. We’ll see. But I wanted to get the post ready for everyone else! Cheers!!)
I wanted to write new examples for this year, but, as sometimes happens, I am running behind and these examples give you a good enough idea. I’m anxious to see what you come up with though!! Cheers!!


The first one is silly: 

What if I danced in the rain?
I might get a little bit wet.
What if I sang at the top of my lungs?
I could land a singing contract, I bet.

What if I went back inside and sat down?
I would never know what I might do.

I wonder, would you be so bold, if it were you?

                                      © 2011 Stephanie Abney





This one is more serious:

What if I listened very carefully to the spirit?
I might be surprised at what I hear.

What if the Lord has plans I'm not ready for?
I could try to pretend I didn't hear them.

What if I listened and obeyed?
I would be more use to His children.

Do you think I'm that strong?
                               © 2011 Stephanie Abney




This is the link to our FB group – just ask to join:
A Month of Poetry "30 Poems in 30 Days" April #National Poetry Month

PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright to them as soon as they post them. Thanks so much!

Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or your FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Day 6-What if......I might poem

What if all doors were open?
I might be friends with everyone

What if all people got along?
I could live more joyfully

What if they found a cure?
I would not worry so much

Do you think it’s possible we will learn our lessons from this struggle?

CONNIE COCKRELL said...

What if I walked in the woods?
I might hear the call of the jay.

What if I walked at the seashore?
I could get my feet wet.

What if I explored my yard?
I would find my own little world.

Can you find your universe?

Heidi L. Murphy said...

Okay. Here are my two. I'm in a weird mood today. It's reflected in my writing. https://murph4slaw.blogspot.com/2020/04/national-poetry-month-day-shiche.html