Sunday, April 10, 2016

Day 10 ~ How to Write an “Acrostic Poem” for “30 Poems in 30 Days” #NationalPoetryMonth on “National Siblings Day”


Most people have heard about and even written an “acrostic” poem. It’s a rather simple pattern and can be quite fun to do. And since today, April 10th, is “National Siblings Day,” I thought it would be fun to write an acrostic poem about one of your siblings, unless you’re an only child, of course. Then you would need to get creative and write about your kids as siblings or use the word sibling or just write one on whatever topic or person you choose – doesn’t really matter – just a suggestion to get today’s poetry form started.

OK, it only takes a few steps to get started
1.    Choose a name or the object of your poem.
2.    Write that name or that word down the left hand side of your paper vertically, generally using all capital letters.
3.    Start each sentence of your poem with the capital letter on that line.
4.    No need to worry about rhyming or counting syllables or anything.
5.    Each line can be whatever length you choose, from one word to a longer sentence.


Try an ACROSTIC poem for "National Siblings Day"


Examples:
One word/line acrostic for the name “Susan” (Yes, I know this is a lame example, but it’s just an example. I know you can do better):

Super
Unique
Sweet
Adorable
Nice

Or an example using sentences using the name “James” (And this example is even worse) hopefully I’ll come up with better ones and exchange them out – but no promises:

Joining our family ten years ago,
A tow-headed boy with a smile.
Messes are many,
Excuses are few.
Surely you’d love him too.

But I really can’t let this poetry form pass without sharing a delightful experience I had while teaching English in China. I had a 14 year old student named “Fiona.” I explained how to write an acrostic poem and suggested to the students that they choose a favorite animal for their poem. I gave additional details and then they got busy.

Soon they were showing me their poems. They did a wonderful job. Then Fiona turned in her poem:

Snow is falling down.
No one wants to stay outside.
A little girl stands at my front door.
Knocks it with a little cry.
Early afternoon, she falls asleep in my room.

I read it and told it that it was a lovely poem but it had nothing to do with a snake. She replied, “But I wrote ‘snake’ down the left hand side.”

So I explained that the poem also needed to be ABOUT a snake if that was the word she chose. So she said, “Okay,” took the paper back, added a few words and turned it back in…

Here is what she added to that last line of “Early afternoon, she falls asleep in my room … and then she turned into a snake.”



I loved it!! Love her!! I laughed so hard. It is a cherished memory. And now, you can enjoy it too. Cheers!!

Whatcha’ got?

PLEASE REMEMBER ~ any poetry found on this blog, written by me, is my personal property and may not be used without my permission, other than sharing it as an example in a lesson or to read it to someone. The same goes for any poems that are shared in the comments of this blog or elsewhere online as a result of this challenge. They are the creative property of the person who writes them. These poems are their original work and no one may use them without their permission. It is understood that they own the copyright for to them as soon as they post them. Thanks so much!


Also, if you choose to post your poems on your own blog ~ that’s awesome. But PLEASE don’t just copy and paste my daily instructions, but rather post your poem on your blog or you FB wall or wherever AND LINK BACK TO THIS BLOG POST for others to come here to read the instructions. I’ve spent considerable time researching the poetry forms and writing them up to share with you. Thanks for respecting my work. 

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Day 10-Acrostic Poem

So happy I have siblings
I love them every one
Because they are my family my
Life is fully blest
I'll use them as examples and
Never let them go
God gave me a good family
So glad that they're the best.

Heidi L. Murphy said...

When God invented these, He did a great thing.
I love that they hold things together without
Needing other tools but your fingers
Give that wingnut a crank and it's on.
Never is it too awful to get it back off
Until you want it gone
Take a couple of fingers, twist it off.
Saves all kinds of time and it sounds silly.